Saturday, July 18, 2009

Charter Part 3: The Cousin

So Kyle left a comment linking the charter post back to the "Age Old Debate" post by asking the question is it morally wrong to use the "age old trick" of telling Charter you are disconnecting, without true intentions of disconnecting, to get a better deal.

We all know that the fastest way to get a new deal from Charter, and probably from any cable provider...yes that means you DISH Network and Direct TV, is to tell them to pull the plug. It is so funny to listen and go through the protocol of the Tech telling you "One Moment Please, let me check with my manager" knowing that they will give you the best deal that they currently have advertised to keep you from pulling the plug. Now we all know better than to think that these Techs actually go and ask their manager. These Techs no that Charter are milking us for all we are worth and as they are "checking with their manager" they are actually returning to their foreign spoken conversation on who will win at laser tag that night with their cube mate.

Anyway, lets hit the Kyle's question.

When you get down to the moral issue of it I would have to say it is wrong to intentionally tell Charter to disconnect you when you have no intentions of pulling the plug. Now have I done that before, YES I HAVE so you can call my a HIPO (that is my slang term for hypocrite).
Now, I just wrote a couple paragraphs on this and erased them because I was getting too detailed and making this simple question to complex so here is the summary

The reason I say it would have to be wrong is because you are intentionally deceiving someone and the Bible teaches us not to be deceitful. Now is it wrong to negotiate with Charter (or with any businessman), NOT AT ALL. There is nothing wrong negotiating with someone as long as you are being fair.
I now only tell them to pull the plug if I am willing to deal with the consequences of them actually pulling it.

Short and simple
comments welcomed

2 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Naomi Swords said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.