Thursday, June 25, 2009

The Age Old Debate

Alright guys, the audience wants an encore so who is BP to deny the voice of the people (or in this case our high school class). Now let me warn you this may be a little longer one and as always I hate proof reading and can find better things to do than to proof read emails or blogs. I rather type fast and not proof read so pardon me for my mistakes :)

There has been a debate going on when a group of us, well let me just be blunt, one of my buddies disagrees with the rest of us. Now this is fine but I figure I throw it out here and see what others thought. Maybe BP is in the minority...who knows

The question concerns breaking "rules" in sports. Is this considered wordly wrong and even spiritually wrong. Yeah I know, this is going to go deep, spiritually deep.....lets take a small break so you can grab a GRAPICO and WACHAMACALLIT (spelling?? - candy bar). ........................................................................................................................................................................................
....(dotes represent break time)...................................................................

Ok, here is the basic scenerio. Little BP isplaying football, lets say at the CB position, and daddy BP (me) is the coach. I am going to teach and tell Little BP (we will from now on refere to Little BP as LBP and coach BP as only BP) that if he gets beat on a route by the WR and the WR is going to catch the ball and score a TD...BP says pass interference the WR to save the TD. I think it is smart and a good strategy. BP would also teach LBP to slap the WR on the butt and say "Hey man, greate route and you had me beat. I had to pass interference you to save the TD".

The other view of this is that it is wrong to do pass interference on purpose. You should just let the WR score and tell him good job. This view says that we shouldn't break rules no matter the circumstance. That using a cost/benefit analyses for breaking rules in football is not the right attitude. The other view also takes this to basketball where it believes intentional fouling is not the right thing to do.

Now BP does say that intentionally hurting another player is WRONG. That is why that some rules call for ejection and suspensions. BP would never teach LBP to do something that would get ejected. BP just believes that sports rules were created with the mindset of strategy. Isn't walking a guy in baseball breaking a rule in some aspect because he gets a free base. That free base is like giving a football team 15 yards for pass inteference. We just don't view it the same way because no ref throws a flag or blows a whistle in baseball on 4 balls.

Now the other view also can go deeper to the spritituallity of right/wrong on breaking rules. I am a Christian and my life's desire is to glorify God in EVERYTHING I do. I have no problem taking this to a spiritual level because we are called by God to worship Him in everything and that means sports too. Now side note: worshiping God doesn't always mean singing hymns or listening to preaching. Worshing God is so much bigger than the walls of our church and should be how we daily live.
With that said I believe that intentionally committing pass interference is not sinning against God. Now if your pass interference means you intentionally break the WR leg then we need to talk..so let me know if you like breaking legs.

The other view says that we shouldn't break rules intentionally because that is not what Jesus would do. I TOTALLY AGREE. If a teacher tells LBP to quit talking but LBP keeps talking..HE IS IN THE WRONG and he will getting a wooping..HECK BP may even make LBP stand behind Yosemeniti(donkey) for punishment.

But i believe that rules in sports are a different scope than rules elsewhere. I believe that when the sports gurus were creating the rule book they sat around a table and discussed how these rules could be used for strategy. There is no teacher in football saying if you do this you ar bad and you get 15 yards penalty. Football simply says if you committ a penalty, that is fine but you get 15 yards for pass interference.

So do i believe Jesus is looking down on LBP and shaking his head in disgust because He intentionally committed the pass interference. Nope not at all. I think Jesus is saying, great move man..smart, now go tell the WR why you did it and give him a boost of confidence.

so give me your feedback, would BP be considered a dirty coach or a mean coach for teaching LBP this. Remember, our #1 goal is to glorify God in everything and I don't think inentional penalities denounces this...it is just good o'l strategy

man what a long blog..i wouldn't read so if you one of the peeps who just skims blogs and you catch this sentence..just POST "BP YOU ARE RIGHT AND ALSO JUST STINKIN AWESOME"

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, this is Justin, I played linebacker at GHS back in the day. I'm not a christian, so I don't give a crap about all that. But I never did that kind of junk, just because I wouldn't want somebody to do it to me. Every time I see somebody intentionally commit a penalty it pisses me off. Your a** got beat, deal with it, don't break the rules to cover the fact that you suck!

conrad thompson said...

i agree iwth justin, its cheap. i don't know if it is a sin or not, but it is definitely kind of dirty. what do i know though, i haven't done anything athletic since maybe third grade.

Anonymous said...

BP, this is Baggett. People who commit fouls on purpose are f'n idiots. How is it a legit strategy? If you suck bad enough to be in that situation, you deserve to get beat.

Melissa Wellman said...

Is it ok if a girl weighs in? I've always thought it was kind of mean to do stuff like that, but every time I've asked a guy about it, he's told me to be quiet.

Anonymous said...

hey i played football at guntersville too and i remember when you used to come and take a shower in the locker room payne and you didn't even play football! whats up with that?